No11 Brunswick Street was opened in 2012 following a £900,000 refurbishment to the grand town house by husband and wife team Hamish and Susan Grant. The boutique hotel and restaurant is in the centre of Edinburgh, close to The Playhouse and down a quiet street just off London Road.
Originally built in 1822, the Georgian Town House was designed by the famous architect William Playfair. In the 1930s the building became home to the Black Watch Club, the regimental club of the Black Watch the oldest kilted regiment in the British Army dating from 1727.
Head Chef, Willie Lonnie has kept the traditional menu short with steaks, fish and some game for the main courses but you could just choose a selection of tapas such as Haggis in filo pastry or roast beef rib bon bons. Suppliers for The Brasserie include John Henderson Meat in Glenrothes and Welch’s Fishmonger in Newhaven, cheese from Devenik Dairy in Aberdeenshire and bread is from the excellent Manna House Bakery in nearby Easter Road.
No 11 Brunswick Street is a more relaxed restaurant than other weekend venues in the city centre, probably because of the townhouse setting. The Grants choice of charcoal walls, artwork commissioned from local artist Nicola Cairns, and the candlelight certainly do justice to the William Playfair architecture.